Thursday, September 23, 2010

Geomatric


When the activity was first brought to us to figure out the area of a pentagon, I was lost and rather in fear. I have always been weak at maths and geomatry was on my "most hated concept list" as I could nv realli visualize or find a reason or statement that makes me understand the rules of geomatric. I guess my spatial sense was not very developed at that point of time. However, as Mr Yeap and my classmates goes through the solutions and methods to approach this activity, I was able to pick up and understand and see the relationship much faster than I expected. I was even able to relate certain relationships that I have learned previously in primary school! I guess that's what makes it easier as I had certain knowledge on the topic and now I am just refreshing or rather assimilating and accomodating the concepts that I have learned previously. Thus, I feel that as teachers, we should plan according to the van Hiele levels of geomatric thought as this will help children to develop their spatial sense as we will be able to plan accordingly and appropriately to their developmental level. Last but not least, as Van De Walle explains, consistent introduction of experiences with shapes and spatial relationships will help children to develop spatial sense (2010, p. 400).

No comments:

Post a Comment