Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What did I learn from lesson 1?

What gave me the most impression among all the problems that we have seen during our first lesson was the video and the activity on the paper clips and the poker cards.

The spelling numeral activity was an eye opener to me as it showed me how play-based activity and manipulatives aid in constructing a mathematic lesson. I was really amazed by how the activity works and I totally enjoyed the process of figuring out how to come about with a method in order to carry out the trick. Thus, it has shown me the importance of allowing our children to think and figure a concept on their own instead of explanation by the teacher.

The video provided me with an insight as to how to carry out an activity that facitlitates children's problem solving skills and metacognition. It gave me an opportunity to observe how the teacher questions and facilitates children's answers without spoon-feeding them. From this video, it had taught me that children would be able to figure out concepts on their own, however, as a facilitator, we must use the right approach or instruction to help them. However, I would very much prefer to see how the teacher actually used differentiated instruction to aid in the students who did not understand the concepts so that I am able to observe and learn from him.

Lastly the paper clips has proven to me that mathematics is not just about learning an individual concept that should be taught in a particular method. A concept can be solved by different methodologies based on one's own understanding and deriviation. Thus, from this activity, it has shown that concepts can be linked and connected to one another. Also, the thinking and discussion approach has shown it's effectiveness as everybody plays a part in wanting to solve the problem and learn from one another at the same time. Therefore, my ideal lesson with the older age group would be something like the discussion that we had held in class as it has throughly displayed how interactive and engaging a mathematics lesson should be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment